Lawsuit Filed Over Contaminated Drinking Water At Camp Lejeune

By Chris Cowperthwaite, NBC17, 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Updated: Jul. 6 6:22 pm

RALEIGH, N.C. – A lawsuit filed this weekend alleges that hundreds of thousands of Marine Corps veterans and their families drank toxic water at Camp Lejeune, and the government knew it.  Jones v. United States of America is the first in a slew of lawsuits that attorneys plan on filing at the Federal Courthouse in Raleigh.  The suit says the government knew for at least five years that chemicals such as tetrachloroethylene, trichloroethylene, dicloroethylene, vinyl chloride and benzene contaminated the water supply in high doses, but let the wells stay open.  Lawyers say the toxic water led to cancer and other health problems.  “These people are waiting for answers. They want to know why, for the first time in five generations, does everybody in their family have cancer?” said Joseph Anderson. “They want to know why they have rare cancers.”  The suit contends that if the military had followed its own regulations that had been in place since the 1950s, the contamination would not have happened.

http://wake.mync.com/site/wake/news%7CSports%7CLifestyles/story/37810/lawsuit-filed-over-contaminated-drinking-water-at-camp-lejeune

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: